And by cool kids, I mean me & Kristin.
I hope you all had a wonderful New Year’s Eve! I made tamales (more on that later) and had a few whiskey & cokes and went to bed at 8:30. Yep, that’s how we roll.
I told you guys in this post that for 2011 I picked a “Word of the Year” and mine was Simplify. This seemed to work so much better for me than making resolutions. In years past, I would make a list of resolutions that I usually forgot after a week.
By picking a word – it’s not a lofty goal that you may never attain. You don’t get discouraged when you mess up one day. You just keep working towards that end.
My goal to Simplify impacted a lot of different facets of my life – here are a few accomplishments:
- Pared down 8 rooms and 6 closets – got rid of everything we don’t love or need and donated the rest.
- Moved all of my favorite recipes located in dozens of cookbooks into one online resource (Plan to Eat), which I can access from my computer, phone or iPad.
- Established several effective household routines that allow me more (guilt free) time to spend playing with Johnny, reading, knitting, sewing and blogging.
- Went from teaching 12 yoga classes at 3 studios to 2 classes at 1 athletic club that I really love and is a good fit for my life right now.
- Gave up on some old dreams that I was hanging on to not because I loved them anymore, but because they were tied to my ego’s “definition of me”.
- Quit eating dairy & gluten (except during the Christmas holiday).
- Allowed myself to say “no” more often so that I’m not over-committed on my time.
SO, looking forward to 2012, my word this year is Consistency.
Some areas I think will benefit from a little more consistency:
- I feel better when I workout more often than not
- My whole family is happier when the house is clean
- I get sick less when I don’t eat things I know I’m allergic to
And I’m sure through the year, I will find even more things that can benefit from a little more consistency.
What is/are your word/resolutions for 2012?
And because I can’t ever post a blog without a picture in it… here is one of Johnny wearing a hat I made him the other day: