Happy Birthday to the best daddy ever!
Kristin (my sister) posted this on her blog this morning: Best Daddy Ever. I didn’t want to steal her title, but it’s totally true. Her post got me to thinking about all the things I loved about our childhood. And what I love about having him as my daddy.
So, here you go daddy – here are a few things that I appreciate.
- Your ability to make anything fun – I remember big rolls of padding & carpet that were brought into the house. You immediately strung up makeshift swings so we were like trapeeze artists jumping off of the rolls of padding.
- You guys let us get dirty – making mud pies, mud slides, riding motorcycles and anything else we could dream up.
- Your endless creativity when it comes to solving problems. Like, for example, removing black lipstick off of every pair of jeans I owned that got dried in the dryer. Or packing the car for trips and utilizing every square inch (and then some) possible. Or fixing my refrigerator. =)
- How many little girls get to design their childhood bedroom? And when they say “I want a bed with an enormous window to look at the stars and a ladder at the end that goes up to a loft!” – who actually gets that??
- Your tendency to get a little mischievous (as if there is a 12 yr old boy inside there somewhere). I remember at my graduation party, you disappeared around the back of the house with my friend, Wes. 15 minutes later there was a big WHOOSH (a la Backdraft) as you guys lit a 5 month old, crispy Christmas tree on fire. I’m pretty sure you were the highlight of that party.
- You sung me to sleep every night. And gave me a deep love of music.
- You encourage & support my dreams – from making a homemade balance beam and ballet bar to simply just believing I can do anything and be anything I dream.
- And most important – you just let me be who I want to be and love me for whoever that winds up being.
You are the best, indeed. I love you.
P.S. Johnny says “Happy Birthday, Papaw!” Or really he just said “Faw faw” but I know that’s what he meant. =)